Newzik Workshop by Chris Thompson
WHAT: JazzWorks-sponsored workshop 'An Introduction to Newzik - Transposable Lead Sheets on the iPad'
WHEN: Saturday November 26th, 2016, 2 pm to 5 pm
WHERE: Arrow & Loon Pub, 99 Fifth Ave (at Bank), Ottawa
COST: $10 cash at the door (room rental)
PRE-REGISTRATION: Required - email Chris Thompson at email@example.com
WHO IS THIS WORKSHOP FOR?
- This workshop will be of particular interest to jazz vocalists who need to transpose lead sheets in the ‘book key’ to a key suitable for their range, and then transpose/print them for concert, Bb, and Eb instruments. The Newzik app with its ability to play lead sheets on the iPad (melody and accompaniment), transpose lead sheets while they're playing, and then export transposed lead sheets as pdfs that can be printed, plus its library of about 1000 legal, high quality, transposable jazz standard lead sheets (available soon), provides an alternative to paying someone to transpose lead sheets, or using music notation software such as Sibelius, Finale, Band-in-a-Box, or Musescore to transpose lead sheets.
- In addition, Newzik's 'on the fly' lead sheet transposing capability will be of interest to jazz instrumentalists at band practices, jams, and gigs, as an alternative to iReal Pro chord charts.
- Newzik is a sheet music reader app for the iPad. The latest version (screenshot) became available on the App Store August 16th, 2016.
- Newzik (the Paris-based startup company) will be making commercially available on a webstore an electronic library of about 1000 transposable jazz standard lead sheets for the Newzik app. These lead sheets will be legal (Newzik is currently identifying and negotiating royalties with copyright holders) and high (Real Book) quality. Currently no lead sheet library like this exists.
- You can start using Newzik NOW with an electronic library of about 300 transposable jazz standard lead sheets compiled by Chris Thompson for investigation purposes. There is no charge for this library.
- In addition, you have a unique opportunity to influence the design of an iPad app that you will probably be using anyway within the next year or so - see the next point.
- In July, JazzWorks (Judy Humenick) and Newzik’s CEO (Raphaël Schumann) established a formal relationship between the two organizations. JazzWorks is encouraging the JazzWorks community to use the Newzik app and provide comments and suggestions to the company while the app is still in the early development stage. In return, Newzik is offering Friends of JazzWorks a 50% discount on the price of Newzik Premium - a Cdn$14 value - plus a complimentary 'sampler' set of ten transposable jazz standard lead sheets, all with lyrics and that play the melody with accompaniment. Win-win!
- Chris Thompson, a retired Professional Engineer, is very familiar with lead sheets, having used them for the 46 years he has been playing bass in a variety of gigging bands. His excitement about Newzik and his interest in providing comments and suggestions on the app are due to his 23 years’ experience working for Bell-Northern Research and Nortel identifying and developing business propositions for potential new business opportunities (NBOs) and writing detailed product requirements documents (aka ‘service descriptions’). A number of suggestions he has made to Newzik's CEO over the past few months have been incorporated in the development plan for the Newzik app. Chris recognized the opportunity to take this to the next level and facilitated the establishment of the formal relationship between JazzWorks and Newzik.
- Chris will be using his iPad with the screen mirrored on a large wall-mounted TV to demonstrate step-by-step how to use Newzik to import a lead sheet from his library of 300 transposable jazz standard lead sheets, play the lead sheet, transpose the lead sheet while it is playing, and export the transposed lead sheet as a pdf that can be printed. This is a ‘hands on’ workshop – participants are encouraged to bring their own iPads and follow along Chris’s step-by-step demonstrations. The best way to learn is by doing.
- Prior to the workshop, Chris will provide the participants with access to his lead sheet library, and instructions on how to set up their iPads so that they're ready to follow along his step-by-step demonstration of how to use Newzik to import, play, transpose, and export/print a lead sheet. There won't be time during the workshop to run people through this setup.